|No image yet|
|gobblin, gobeline, gobling, goblyn, and gobbelin|
|Hobgoblin, Dwarf, Imp, Gnome, Kobold, Brownie|
The goblin is a small grotesque creature. Goblins are usually greedy, vile and/or straight up evil. Their appearance, intellect and demeanor vary greatly from tale to tale. In some cases they are intelligent inventors, while in others they merely driven by their mischevious nature.
Source[edit | edit source]
Goblins are featured in the folklore of many countries in northern Europe, dating as far back as to around 1,000 AD, with the tale of Beowulf.
Media[edit | edit source]
Goblins appear in the following media:
Games[edit | edit source]
- Baldur’s Gate - 1998/BioWare
- Baldur’s Gate 2 - 2000/BioWare/Interplay
- Crypt of the NecroDancer
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
- - the Goblin is a small, but dangerous critter of the "Gothic" game series. They seem to live in clan like structures and travellers should be careful, because they usually appear in a group.
- Heroes of Might and Magic
- Heroes of Might and Magic II
- Heroes of Might and Magic III
- Heroes of Might and Magic IV
- Heroes of Might and Magic V
- Heroes of Might and Magic VI
- Hunger Dungeon
- In LOAAC, goblins are a wide range of creatures that have the mindset of modern zombies combined with small children.
- Lord of the Rings Online
- In LOTRO various kinds of Goblin tribes can be found throughout Middle earth. Noteable are the Blue-crags, found in the Blue Mountains and the goblins from Goblin-town found in the Northern High Pass of the Misty Mountains, with their king, the Great Goblin.
- Neverwinter Nights - 2002/Atari/BioWare
- Neverwinter Nights 2 - 2006/Obsidian Entertainment
- Might & Magic: Duel of Champions
- Might & Magic X: Legacy
- Goblins are small green humanoids. While inventive, they have little regards for safety. They have a love for big machines and things that go boom. Though former allies of the Horde, they will provide their services to whoever can afford it. They run the Goblin Merchants and Goblin Laboratories that players may come across.
- Goblins are small green humanoids. While the goblins of the Steamwheedle Cartel prefers to stay neutral, the playable goblins of Kezan, has joined forces with the Horde. Goblins are crafty and often deranged. Money is always the top priority. Safety is of little concern, as can be seen first hand by using their products, which are usually riddled with dangerous side effects. They usually deal in engineering, alchemy and trading.
Folklore[edit | edit source]
- Goblins are said to be the descendants of Cain.
Movies[edit | edit source]
- Unwanted children can be offered up to the mysterious and handsome Goblin King, played by David Bowie. If they stay in the realm of the Goblin King, the whisked away children, will themselves become goblins.
Music[edit | edit source]
- Nekrogolikon is a melodic death metal band, with lyrics that often center around goblins.
Novels[edit | edit source]
- Goblin Slayer
- The Hobbit - by J. R. R. Tolkien, first published by George Allen & Unwin 1937 - when the thirteen dwarfs, together with Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins, seek shelter in a Misty Mountains' cave, a crack in the rock opens and they are captured by the goblins and taken to Goblin Town. Gandalf finally kills the Great Goblin with the sword Glamdring and the group around Thorin Oakenshield can flee, although they lose Bilbo Baggins on the way, who then makes a brief acquaintance with Gollum, who lives down there in a cavern with a lake.
- The Lord of the Rings - by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Forgotten Realms - book series