|Ork, Orch, Yrch|
|Goblin, Ogre, Bugbear|
The orc is a large, ugly and often malevolent humanoid, closely related to Ogres and Goblins. Their skin is usually green, grey, black or at times red. They have sharp fangs and are at times known to have ape or pig-like features. They are usually violent and not very intelligent, but this also depends on the source material they do come from, and their behaviour and background stories may vary a lot. In many stories, they typically use boars, wolves or wargs as mounts.
Source[edit | edit source]
Orcs originate from the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, but there is also a demon-like creature in Tyrol (Austria) and the surrounding alpine regions with that name (which varies: Org, Norg, Nörglein, Lorko and Orco). Its appearance and character can differ, so it is sometimes huge or has the size of a dwarf. Some of them protect the wildlife, some harm it. Tolkien knew the word "Orc" from the old-english, where it's similar to demon and created his orcs to be a mockery of the fair elves.  Even Tolkien's Orcs are skilled craftsmen, although they never create anything beautiful, and know only hatred for themselves and others. Larger kind in Tolkien's stories are called Uruks.
Media[edit | edit source]
The orc appears in the following media:
Comic Books[edit | edit source]
- Nick, der Weltraumfahrer, by Hansrudi Wäscher (Germany, 1958) - the "Ork" appear as a humanlike race on the Planet Venus and live there in a subterranean city and the venusian swamps. They wear tight, reptilian-like clothes.
Novels[edit | edit source]
- Lord of the Rings
- America a Prophecy - by William Blake, 1793. Although Orc is a name of a character there.
- Orcs: First Blood or only Orcs - is the title of a novel-series by Stan Nicholls from 2004. The story centers around a warband of Orcs, one of the few stories, where they are the protagonists.
- Discworld series - by Terry Pratchett
- Dwarves saga - by Markus Heitz
Games[edit | edit source]
- Castle Age
- Crypt of the NecroDancer
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
- Of Orcs and Men
- Gems of War
- Gothic - game series I - III.
- Heroes of Might and Magic
- Heroes of Might and Magic II
- Heroes of Might and Magic III
- Heroes of Might and Magic IV
- Heroes of Might and Magic V
- Might & Magic: Duel of Champions
- Might & Magic X: Legacy
- The Elder Scrolls game series - Orcs are also called Orsimer.
Movies[edit | edit source]
- Lord of the Rings - movie series. 2001 - The Fellowship of the Ring, 2002 - The Two Towers, 2003 - The Return of the King.
- Warcraft: The Beginning - Released 2016. An american action-fantasy film directed by Duncan Jones. The film is based on the Warcraft video game series and novels.
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Original TV-Series