|No image yet|
|North American folklore|
|Wiindigoo, Weendigo, Windego|
|Yeti, Sasquatch, Wechuge|
The wendigo typically has the appearance of a large monstrous humanoid. They are evil, greedy and hunger for human flesh. They can possess humans, influencing the behaviour of the host to further their own primal desires. They are linked with canibalism and famine. When they eat humans, they will grow in size, to the degree that the meal doesn't sate their hunger. They are more active in the winter where food is more scarce. While their size is often several times larger than that of a human, they are often slender or outright famished, with skin stretched thin or ruptured by protruding bones. Some versions portray the wendigo as a cross between a human and a stag. A large lumbering beast with exposed bones, especially the legs, ribs and even the skull.
Source[edit | edit source]
The wendigo originates from folklore in the north eastern reaches of the North American continent. Early mentions include The Jesuit Relations.
Media[edit | edit source]
The wendigo appears in the following media:
Games[edit | edit source]
- The wendigo lives in the icy continent of Northrend. They are large bipedal humanoids covered in white fur. Some display moderate druidic or shamanistic capabilities.
- The wendigo of Azeroth share similarities with the Yeti and the Sasquatch. They are large bipedal humanoids covered in white fur. They prefer colder climates such as Dun Morogh and Northrend. They are strong and not particularily intelligent. They are known to cause a lot of trouble for dwarven farmers and their livestock.
TV Series[edit | edit source]
- "Supernatural" by Eric Kripke, starring Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles etc. Wendigo is the title of the second episode of the first season (2005)
- Blood Ties - a Canadian television series
- Fear Itself (2008– ) TV-Show, Season 1 | Episode 8: Skin and Bones, aired 31 July 2008
- Charmed - Season 1 | Episode 12: The Wendigo, aired 1 August 1999
- The Incredible Hulk (1996–1998), animated series, Season 1 | Episode 10: And the Wind Cries... Wendigo, aired 10 November 1996
- Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. (2013– ), animated series, Season 1 | Episode 10: Wendigo Apocalypse
- Wolverine and the X-Men (2008– ), Season 1 | Episode 7: Wolverine vs. Hulk. This episode aired 18 October 2008
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, TV Series (2010–2012),
Movies[edit | edit source]
- Ravenous (1999) - a Czech-American black comedy horror-suspense film, starring Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle, Jeffrey Jones and David Arquette.
- Wendigo (1978)
- The Manitou (1978)
- Ghostkeeper (1981)
- Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo (1995)
- Wendigo (2001)
- The Last Winter (2006)
- Wendigo: Bound by Blood (2010)
- Windigo (2011)
- Dark Was the Night (2014)
- Don't Look (2017)
Sources[edit | edit source]